Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Being Fully Converted

As I have traveled and met people around western NY I have noticed something that I don't really understand. Typically when we meet someone new, whether they are interested in learning about what we know to be true or just want to talk, they usually state what religion they consider themselves to be. They state that they are ________ (religion). I usually respond with, "Thats great that you have a belief in Christ." Then I follow up with the question, how often do you attend church meetings? The responses I most get are I don't or, about twice a year (Chirstmas and Easter).  Not everyone is this way but a lot if not most are. After those responses or similar answers I then ask why they don't go very often. There are a few different reasons, but the most common is the one that confuses me. The reason why they don't actually attend the church they belong to is because they don't believe or disagree with the doctrine that is taught at that church. I find it to be a contradiction to say, "I'm a Mormon but I disagree with what they teach in their church." So I ask whoever may read this, "What do 'you' believe?" I ask this because if what 'you' believe differs from what 'your' church believes, or teaches, then are you really that religion? I believe the answer is no. To those of you who do believe the teachings of your church I have the same request of you as those who do not agree with their churches teachings. Do some soul searching! Ask yourself what you believe! However, you need to make sure that you are not forming your own belief. By this I mean that God has given us what we are supposed to believe in. For example, I can choose to believe that after this life I will be reincarnated as an animal or even another person. Is that the doctrine of God? No. So in your search for what 'you' believe make sure that what you believe is true doctrine of God. Many of the people I have met don't know what they believe. If you don't know what you believe you can easily be manipulated into thinking that you believe something when you really don't. Have an open mind to different beliefs and religions. Study the words of God given through His chosen prophets and leaders in scripture. Most importantly PRAY and ASK God what you should believe in. PRAY and ASK God if the teachings of a person, church, or group is HIS teachings and doctrine. PRAY and ASK God for His guidance in your search. We are His children! He wants us to know His truths! He wants us to worship and believe in Him His way, not man's way. Please be open to learning new things so that you can find for yourself His church and know that it really is His.

No comments:

Post a Comment